UNV - Humanitarian Field Support Assistant
Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Description of task
Under the direct supervision of the Humanitarian Affairs Analyst/ Head of UNOCHA Central Field Coordination Unit - Ramallah sub office, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Participate in regular field visits and meetings to gather and verify information needed to understand the humanitarian situation and the needs of the most vulnerable communities.
- Draft reports on field visits to vulnerable Palestinian communities ensuring an adequate and accurate record of events (including completion of forms as needed).
- Support information verification and the production of reports on key issues for inclusion in the bi-weekly Protection of Civilians report, the monthly Humanitarian Monitor and ad hoc reports as necessary.
- Participate in the entry of critical protection incidents (settler violence, demolitions and other protection concerns) into the respective databases.
- Support the mapping of access restrictions and their impact on Palestinians in the central West Bank and Jerusalem.
- Support multi-cluster need assessments undertaken in AoR as requested.
- Contribute to the analysis of developments and trends in the AOR especially by highlighting concerns from a local perspective and by regularly updating the field team on new and developing trends or specific areas of concern.
- Support the team, as required, in preparing for field briefings for officials, diplomats and decision makers.
- Support the Field Office in disseminating UN and OCHA reports at the local level, as agreed.
- Provide logistical support for coordination meetings, including preparation of information packs and recording minutes and notes
- Support in updating partners contact in formatted lists as needed.
- Maintain inventory of Sub-Office non-expendable items using the agreed format (ex. stationary)
- Support the electronic filing system of the Field Coordination Unit FCU; updating of contact lists by cluster, theme and location; weekly backup of FCU files and monthly backup in Jerusalem; and photo archiving in a timely manner according to the established guidelines.
- Maintain hard and soft copy archives (e.g. demolition orders, land confiscation orders…etc.).
- Maintain and update work tracking on a daily basis in consultation with unit members.
- Coordinate the use and maintenance of FCU’s equipment, cameras and other tools (including ensuring tools are in the FCU vehicle prior to field visits, with charged batteries and containing necessary layers and forms).
- Liaise with OCHA IMU to help solve equipment-related problems at the sub-field office.
- Provide translation, both verbal and written, from and to Arabic and English.
- Ensure sub-office has sufficient number, type and in required languages of latest maps, reports, etc.
- Provide Administrative Support for payment of Petty Cash invoices when requested.
Required degree level: Bachelor degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
Type of degree: University degree in social sciences, humanitarian assistance, information technology, development aid or another related topic
Required experience: 24 Months
- At least 2 years of work experience in humanitarian field with an INGO, an NGO or a UN agency is desired.
- Knowledge of Central West Bank geographical areas including Jerusalem.
- Computer Skills: MS Word, MS. Excel, presentation tools
- Prior experience with international organizations is an asset
- Good office management and filing skills.
- Solid inter-personal and communication skills.
- Good working knowledge of the humanitarian situation in the North WB
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Arabic(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Area of expertise: Emergency response, immediate relief operations, and post-conflict humanitarian aid operations, Political affairs and political reporting
Driving license: Yes
This is a National Specialist UN Volunteer assignment with monthly VLA payment of ILS 4724.83. Only applications from “Palestinians” living in Jerusalem and West Bank will be considered.
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool? Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup .
Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to 'My Page' at https://vmam.unv.org//candidate/mypage and click on the 'Special Calls' hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call with Application Code.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool? Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile . Then go to 'My Page' at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the 'Special Calls' hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call with Application Code.