Fixed Term Contract, ICS-7
One year with possibility of extension
The OCHA office in the occupied Palestinian territory is responsible for inter-agency coordination in complex emergencies and natural disasters. In the context of the deteriorating humanitarian situation in the occupied Palestinian territory, the OCHA Office has specific responsibility for (a) disseminating information and policies to the humanitarian community, authorities, and donors, as well as supporting resource mobilization efforts; (b) assisting in the identification of humanitarian priorities and needs and the coordination of resource mobilization efforts; and (c) disseminating information on the impact of natural disasters, the response to it and the need for international assistance.
To meet the increased requirements for coordination support, humanitarian advocacy, and information, the OCHA office in the occupied Palestinian territory (oPt) has three sub-offices in the West Bank: Ramallah, Nablus, and Hebron to ensure adequate support to area-based operational coordination structures, sectoral coordination in priority areas, both operational and policy.
Under the guidance of the Deputy Head of Office and direct supervision of the Head of Information Management Unit in Jerusalem, the ICT Associate implements ICT systems and strategies, provides daily technical support to users of information management tools and technology infrastructure, including; provision of daily technical support to OCHA oPt systems (hardware and software), network infrastructure and corporate productivity tools such as email and calendar, support and training of business applications and new technologies, along with operational, administrative, and procurement support.
The Information Systems Associate is expected to work closely with the Information Management, Administration, Research and Analysis, Communication and Advocacy, Humanitarian Fund and Coordination, Field Coordination Units, and OCHA HQ staff for resolving complex ICT-related issues.
The Information Systems Associate will contribute to the development and improvement of information dissemination procedures and practices, ensuring that the UN OCHA oPt office function efficiently and provide the best possible functionality and usability to OCHA clients and stakeholders. The Information Systems Associate will also strengthen and create new relationships with partner agencies, government, and NGOs. Finally, the Information Systems Associate will ensure that all procedures and processes under his (her) responsibility are properly documented.
Work implies frequent interaction with the following:
- Staff at all levels within OCHA, NGO's and the humanitarian community as well as national counterparts and donors.
- Representatives of other UN humanitarian agencies and other member organizations in the Inter-Agency Standing Committee, UN Mission, and Member State personnel.
- Delegations, government officials, involved actors in the crisis, partners in universities and research institutes, etc.
- Information Support Section (ISS) OCHA.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Information Management Unit in Jerusalem, the Information System Associate will be responsible for:
- Supports Implementation of ICT management systems and strategies
- Ensures effective functioning of hardware and software packages
- Supports to networks, server administration, data management, and telecommunication
- Supports administration with ICT services and programming
- Facilitates knowledge building and sharing
1. Supports the implementation of ICT management systems and strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Compliance with corporate information management and technology standards, guidelines, and procedures.
- Provision of inputs to administrative business processes mapping and implementing internal standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Contributing to drafting ICT business continuity plans and their implementation during emergencies
- Make sure ICT services support the Information Management Unit plan and the overall office plans and activities.
2. Ensures effective functioning of hardware and software packages, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Assists in the installation of commercial and in-house developed software and related upgrades
- Prepares hardware specifications as per the needs of a wide variety of users, as requested.
- Liaises with vendors for maintenance, delivery of hardware and software, and other services.
- Ensures the proper functioning of hardware for the OCHA office in Jerusalem and field offices.
- Supports in the selection of software and troubleshooting software installation and conflicts.
- Assists in the management and upgrade of the ICT management system with new purchases and disposed of items
- Maintains and prepares requests for the order of toner cartridges to ensure uninterrupted printing for all printers
- Provides Technical support and maintenance of the printers
- Assists in the management of Satellite Data Communication equipment (satellite phones and portable satellite internet devices)
3. Supports networks administration, data management, and telecommunication focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assists in troubleshooting and monitoring the office network and servers.
- Assists in the management the network in the sub-offices (4 sub-offices).
- Responds to user needs and questions regarding network access.
- Assists in the management and upgrade of the office servers and telecommunication equipment (data center)
- Monitors server traffic, usage, and performance on a frequent and regular basis.
- Regularly inspects and carries out preventive maintenance on network hubs, switches, uninterruptible power supply units.
- Maintains the backup system (daily, weekly, monthly and annual backups)
- Maintains the Security Firewall System
- Assists in the management of the Antivirus Software
- Supports telecommunication, video conferencing, setting up cloud-based meetings (webex and Zoom), and remote ICT support.
- Supports outlook mailing system functions properly with close cooperation with HQ ICT department.
- Supports email system configuration on individual laptops and mobile devices.
- Administers local and global mailing lists.
- Takes responsibility for upgrading and maintaining the telephone system in Jerusalem and sub-offices.
- Assists in backup and restoration procedures for local drives.
- Supports cloud data management (SharePoint and OneDrive)
- Administers access to shared drives remotely from the sub-offices or home.
- Supports staff in backup and restoring their files and virus detection, removal, and prevention.
- Supports Jerusalem office network of servers, computers, hardware, and Internet infrastructure.
- Designs, pilots, and monitors the implementation of new systems
4. Supports administration and communication with ICT services and programming, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Updates the inventory of software and hardware through an ICT management system
- Maintains the office stock of supplies and spare parts in cooperation with the administration Unit.
- Supports the Administration Unit in configuring and managing the fleet management system
- Supports the Administration Unit in upgrading, maintaining, and managing the office surveillance system (CCTV, fire, and alarm systems)
- Supports the Administration Unit in developing and managing the staff attendance system
- Develops in-house databases/systems to support internal office processes as required.
- Supports the communication unit to develop communication with communities’ online solutions/systems to support two-way communication to strengthen needs reporting and humanitarian programming (examples, mobile applications, SMS surveys, referral system, and complaining mechanism)
- Administers the office mobiles and SIM cards.
- Provides efficient ICT support to key events.
5. Facilitates knowledge building and sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participates and assists in training of all staff members on ICT issues and skills.
- Conducts orientation sessions on Office 365 suite to all staff.
- Contributes to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Actively represents the Office on the UN country team ICT working group.
- Represents the Office in the OCHA global community of practice to facilitate knowledge sharing and management.
- Performs any other duties as requested by the OCHA Deputy Head of Office and the Head of Information Management Unit.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Adapts deliverables to meet client needs
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Expresses information and views with adaptive reasoning and appreciation for complexity and variation
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgment.
- Takes responsibility for addressing critical situations and delivering core value
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Proactively seeks and recognizes contributions of others
- People Management:
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Appropriately involves team in different stages of work and decision-making
- Professionalism – Advanced knowledge of the use of information management to improve the business processes; proven and demonstrable experience in analysis of information and capacity to articulate the information management requirements of complex situations requiring a coordinated response between disparate actors; demonstrated problem-solving skills and ability to use sound judgment to ensure the effective and timely completion of complex tasks; ability to work under extreme pressure, on occasion in a highly stressful environment (e.g. civil strife, natural disasters).
- Teamwork – Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision.
- Planning and Organizing – Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Client Orientation – Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; designs solutions and basis recommendations on the principles of usability; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients’ informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Technology Awareness - Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the Office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
- Commitment to Continuous Learning - Demonstrated history of keeping abreast of new developments in the field plus a commitment to continuous learning.
High School Diploma. BSC Degree in Computer Science, Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE), Information Technology, Information Management, Management Information Systems (MIS), or any related subject would be an asset.
- Minimum Seven (7) years of relevant working experience in information and communications technologies in the area of network administration, use of hardware/software, telecommunications facilities, database packages, or web design is required with High School Diploma. OR
- Minimum Four (4) years of relevant experience relevant working experience in information and communications technologies in the area of network administration, use of hardware/software, telecommunications facilities, database packages, or web design is required with BSC Degree.
- Previous relevant experience with UN Common System or in the NGO sector is desired.
- Knowledge and experience in Windows 10/server administration is an asset
- Knowledge and experience in data security, including management of Firewall (Juniper), is an asset
- Practical knowledge of standard software packages (Office365 – Access – Visio – Adobe) is an asset.
- Proven experience in designing databases and interfaces using MS Access integrated with MS-SQL Server is an asset.
- Practical knowledge developing web pages using asp.Net, C#, MS, Visual Studio, Adobe Dreamweaver, SharePoint and other web development tools is an asset.
- Knowledge and experience in data security is an asset.
- Fluency in oral and written Arabic and English is required.
How to apply:
To start the application process, applicants are required to apply via OCHA oPt’s vacancies website by registering their profile and completing OCHA Personal History Form (P11). Only applications received through https://www.ochaopt.org/vacancies which should include an up to-date and complete P11 will be considered. Due to the large number of applications received for OCHA vacancies, only applicants short-listed for interview will be contacted.
The United Nations does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process.
The United Nations does not concern itself with information related to bank accounts.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 30 September 2021
Applications received after this date will not be considered.
Women are encouraged to apply