Posted on 1 February 2016
Notes and Clarifications
- Conflict-related casualties: includes all casualties that occurred in violent incidents immediately related to the Israeli occupation and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, such as military operations, search and arrest campaigns, clashes during demonstrations, attacks involving Israeli settlers, etc. These figures exclude other related casualties such as those in the context of access delays, the explosion of unexploded ordnance, reckless handling of weapons, collapse of tunnels, and internal Palestinian violence.
- Civilians: includes people who, according to the information available at the time of publication, did not fulfill a “continuous combatant function” as part of an organized armed group, regardless of the circumstances of their injury or killing. Figures in this category should not be considered comprehensive, as unconfirmed or disputed cases are excluded.
Israeli settler-related violence
- Incidents resulting in casualties: includes all violent incidents involving Israeli settlers and Palestinians, which resulted in deaths or injuries. Incidents that resulted in casualties by a member of the Israeli security forces during an intervention in such an incident are excluded.
- Incidents resulting in property damage/losses: ibid
Search and Arrest
- Palestinians in Israeli custody: includes all Palestinians from the oPt held by the Israeli authorities at the end of each month, whether in Israel or in the West Bank, in connection to an offense related to the Israeli occupation and classified by the Israeli authorities as a “security detainee/prisoner”. Therefore it excludes Palestinians held in connection to a “regular” criminal offense.
- Administrative detainees: Palestinians held by the Israeli authorities without charge or trial, allegedly for preventive purposes.
- Structures demolished: includes all Palestinian-owned structures in the oPt demolished by the Israeli authorities, regardless of their specific use (residential or non-residential) or the grounds on which the demolition was carried out (lack of building permit, military operation or punishment).
- People displaced due to demolitions: includes all persons that were living in structures demolished by the Israeli authorities, regardless of the place in which they relocated following the demolition.
- People affected by demolitions: includes all people that benefited from a demolished structure (as a source of income, to receive a service, etc), excluding those displaced.
Access West Bank
- Permanently staffed checkpoints: staffed by Israeli security personnel, excluding checkpoints located on the Green Line and ‘agricultural gates’ along the Barrier.
- Partially staffed checkpoints: checkpoint infrastructure staffed on an ad-hoc basis.
- Unstaffed obstacles: includes roadblocks, earthmounds, earth walls, road gates, road barriers, and trenches. For historical reasons, this figure excludes obstacles located within the Israeli-controlled area of Hebron City (H2).
- ‘Flying’ or random checkpoints: checkpoints deployed on an ad hoc basis in places without pre-existing infrastructure.
Access to health
- Applications for permits to leave Gaza through Erez: includes only the applications submitted for travel scheduled within the reporting period.
- Delayed applications: includes applications regarding which no answer was received by the date of the medical appointment, thus forcing the patient to restart the application process.
Movement of humanitarian staff
- Incidents of delayed or denied access at a checkpoint: includes incidents affecting local or international staff of humanitarian organizations, both UN and international NGOs.
Imports to Gaza
- Truckloads by type: for historical reasons this figure excludes truckloads carrying all types of fuel.
- Attacks include the targeting of schools that cause the total or partial destruction of such facilities. Other interferences to the normal operation of the facility may also be reported, such as the occupation, shelling, targeting for propaganda of, or otherwise causing harm to school facilities or its personnel.